Thursday, July 1, 2010

Safe and Sound

After waking up around 5 AM on June 30th in Chicago, I am now here twenty-eight hours later, still awake in Hong Kong at 9:41 PM local time.

I'm kind of addled right now. Sheesh.

The flight to Newark was totally uneventful. The flight to Hong Kong was... ugh. Sixteen hours on a plane is not fun, no matter what. It was a sizable plane so it wasn't like, all cramped. But I would have given a LOT to have been in a window seat. Not so I could look out, but so I could lean against the wall of the plane.

I don't really sleep sitting up. I barely sleep lying down as it is, and this whole thing was just bad news. Ugh Ugh Ugh. We got lots of food on the flight, at least. Ginger beef and rice with a salad for dinner (the dressing was mustard dijon stuff, which if you know me, is not what I like to eat, so I skipped salad). An enchilada and ice cream was a "snack" (guess who skipped ice cream? I don't relish being ill stuck in an airplane in the middle seat). And then we got breakfast, which I barely ate any because I was so tired. I watched two and a half movies, because I wasn't thrilled with the choices. What can I say, I'm picky.

However, one nice thing about the flight was the sweet Chinese lady who sat next to me. She didn't speak English, and I don't speak Chinese, but we managed to communicate a bit with hand motions and smiles. She shared her shortbread cookies with me, which was just awesome. I made sure to thank her, and smile as we left the plane.

I forgot to buy an adapter for my laptop, but luckily they're less than 2 dollars here, so I'll be golden once I find the market. I have my octopus card (which is essentially a bus pass) and I've already got $230HKD exchanged. I was going to write on the plane but I was just bleeeeech. As I'm sure you all can imagine.

I only got one picture, and it's the view from the balcony on the second floor, where are rooms are. It's very blurry because I was in a hurry, but enjoy it nonetheless!

1 comment: